How to raise a safeguarding concern

How to raise a safeguarding concern

How to raise a concernIf you think you or someone you know is being abused, or neglected it is important to tell someone you trust. This could be a friend, a teacher, a social worker, a doctor, a police officer or someone else that you trust. Ask them to help you report it and remember that you understand abuse or neglect is never your fault.

Supporting people when concerns about abuse or neglect are raised can be very difficult and worrying for everyone involved. It is important to remember that you must not ignore abuse or neglect. You must report it. If you are not sure what to do you can always seek advice.

To report a crime, telephone the police:
  • In an emergency telephone 999

  • If the person is not in immediate danger telephone 101

To report a safeguarding concern:
Other Concerns:

If you have concerns about a child in Cumbria, telephone 0333 2401727.

Other organisations that can help:

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

If you are concerned about possible abuse or neglect in a residential, hospital or domiciliary care service, you can contact to CQC at enquiries@ or by using the CQC on-line alert form

Whistleblowing Helpline

The national Whistleblowing Helpline provides free help and advice to people who witness or have cause to suspect wrong doing at work but are not sure whether or how to raise their concern. They can be contacted as follows:

Telephone: 08000 724725

Whistleblowing Helpline

Action on Elder Abuse

Helpline 0808 808 8141